1. In a bouquet of flowers, there are 7 daisies and 17 roses. Write the ratio of daisies to roses in three different ways.
2. A jug of juice has 6 cups of pineapple juice and 5 cups of orange juice. Write the ratio of number of cups of pineapple juice to total number of cups of juice in three different ways.
3. Which ratio is equivalent to 4 sevenths with greater terms?
A. 7 tenths
B. 21 over 12
C. 12 over 21
D. 7 fourths
4. The attendant at a parking lot compared the number of hybrid vehicles to the total number of vehicles in the lot over a weekend. The ratios for the three days were equivalent. Complete the table.
5. Write the ratio 6 ft to 4 yd as a fraction in simplest form.
6. You spend 15 minutes watching television. You then spend 1 hour reading e-mail. Write the ratio of the amount of time spent watching television to the amount of time spent reading email as a fraction in simplest form.
7. Multiple Representations One day, the local hardware store sold 22 buckets of basic house paint and 12 buckets of ultimate house paint. A bucket of basic house paint uses 3 cans of white paint and 7 cans of color paint.
a. For a bucket of basic house paint, write the ratio of cans of color paint to cans of white paint in three different ways.
b. Draw a picture to represent the correct ratio in a fourth way.
8. Personal Communication Fees An Internet, telephone, and cable TV package plan costs $80 each month. The Internet part of the bill is $23. The telephone part of the bill is $16. Write the ratio of the Internet bill to the cable TV bill in three different ways.
9. Mental Math The ratio of boys to girls at a movie is 4 : 7. If there are 21 girls, how many boys are at the movie?
10. Error Analysis A survey of 25 people found that 10 had the same Internet service provider. The survey reported this information as the ratio 10 : 25. Reports about the survey used the ratios 12 : 29, 12 : 30, 2 : 5, and 4 : 10 to describe the results.
a. Which of the ratios is not equivalent to the ratio 10 : 25?
A. 4 : 10
B. 12 : 30
C. 2 : 5
D. 12 : 29
b. What was the error?
A. The terms have a common factor greater than 1.
B. The terms of the ratio are reversed.
C. The same number was not added to or subtracted from the terms of the original ratio.
D. The terms of the original ratio were not multiplied or divided by the same number.
11. Write the ratio as a fraction in simplest form.
16 feet to 6 yards
a. Writing Find a ratio equivalent to 12 over 21 with lower terms.
b. Compare finding a ratio equivalent to 12 over 21 with lower terms and finding a ratio equivalent to 12 over 21 with greater terms.