1. An airplane on autopilot took 5 hours to travel 3,475 kilometers. What is the unit rate for kilometers per hour?
2. What is the unit rate for meters per second if a car travels 374 meters in 17 seconds?
3. In a week, 12 hens laid 48 eggs. What is the unit rate for eggs per hen?
4. A package of 5 pairs of insulated gloves costs $29.45. What is the unit price of the pairs of gloves?
5. You want to buy some rice. A 7-ounce package costs $2.59. A 12-ounce package costs $4.56. An 18-ounce package costs $6.30. Which package is the best buy?
6. Population density is the number of people per unit of area. The population density of a certain region is 60 people per square kilometer. If the region covers 23 square kilometers, what is the population of the region?
7. A store sells 12 cans of soup for $15. How much would it cost you to buy 7 cans of soup?
a. What is the unit rate for miles per gallon if you travel 460 miles on 20 gallons of fuel?
b. Describe another unit rate that you could find for this situation.
c. Explain the meaning of that unit rate.
9. Writing During a thunderstorm yesterday, 600 millimeters of rain fell in 30 minutes.
a. What is the unit rate for millimeters per minute?
b. Describe a situation in which it would be useful to know this unit rate.
c. Explain why the unit rate would be useful.
10. Error Analysis A contractor purchases 7 dozen pairs of padded work gloves for $103.32. He incorrectly calculates the unit price at $14.76 per pair for the expense report.
a. What is the correct unit price?
b. Why is the contractor's unit price incorrect?
A. The contractor uses subtraction rather than division to find the unit price.
B. The contractor uses multiplication rather than division to find the unit price.
C. The contractor's unit price is per glove, not per pair of gloves.
D. The contractor's unit price is per dozen pairs, not per pair of gloves.
11. Fundraising The track team needs new uniforms. The students plan to sell plush toy tigers (the school mascot) for $5 each. The students find three companies online that sell stuffed mascots. Company A sells 12 tigers for $33.24. Company B sells 16 tigers for $44.80. Company C charges $41.10 for 15 tigers. Which company has the best buy?
12. Reasoning A store sells a package of 25 trading cards for $5.25.
a. Explain how you can tell that the unit price per card is less than $1.
b. What is the unit price per card?
13. Estimation A car takes 55.3 seconds to travel 1 mile.
a. How long does it take the car to travel 5.8 miles? Round to the nearest whole number to find the estimated answer.
b. Find the exact answer.
14. Think About the Process At a little-known vacation spot, taxi fares are a bargain. A 36-mile taxi ride takes 42 minutes and costs $25.20. You want to find the cost of a 47-mile taxi ride. What unit price do you need?