1. Harry is bundling magazines to recycle. He notices that 4 magazines weigh 3 eighths pound in all and that the magazines all weigh the same amount. What is the unit rate for pounds per magazine?
2. Leo reads 13 pages in 1 third hour.
a. What is the unit rate for pages per hour?
b. What is the unit rate for hours per page?
3. Write the rate fraction 1 seventh , inch , over 1 fourteenth . minute end fraction as a unit rate.
a. Write fraction 7 thirds , miles , over 4 ninths , hour end fraction as a unit rate.
b. Describe a situation that would use this unit rate.
5. A bicyclist rides 1 fifth mile in 1 sixty fifth hour. Write this rate as a unit rate.
6. Yesterday, Grace drove 38 , and 1 half miles. She used 1 , and 1 fourth gallons of gasoline. What is the unit rate for miles per gallon?
7. You are running a fuel economy study. One of the cars you find is blue. It can travel 35 , and 1 half miles on 1 , and 1 fourth gallons of gasoline. Another car is red. It can travel 27 , and 1 fifth miles on 4 fifths gallon of gasoline.
a. What is the unit rate for miles per gallon for the blue car?
b. What is the unit rate for miles per gallon for the red car?
c. Which car could travel the greater distance on 1 gallon of gasoline?
8. Writing A store sells two kinds of candles, scented and unscented. The scented candles burn 1 eighth inch in 1 fourth hour. The unscented candles burn 1 ninth inch in 1 third hour.
a. What is the unit rate for inches burned per hour for the scented candles?
b. What is the unit rate for inches burned per hour for the unscented candles?
c. Which kind of candle burns more in an hour?
d. Show how to find the unit rate of hours per inch for each kind of candle.
e. Explain the meaning of this unit rate.
9. A box of cereal states that there are 90 calories in a 3 fourths -cup serving.
a. What is the unit rate for calories per cup?
b. How many calories are there in 4 cups of the cereal?
10. Reasoning Hannah is making muffins. The recipe calls for 2 thirds cup of milk to make 8 muffins.
a. What is the unit rate for cups of milk per muffin?
b. What is the unit rate for muffins per cup of milk?
c. Show or describe at least two ways to find the unit rate for muffins per cup of milk.
11. Think About the Process There was a long rainstorm last week. In the first 4 hours, 2 thirds inch of rain fell. To find the unit rate for inches per hour, the first step is to write the rate as shown below.
fraction 2 thirds , inch , over 4 , hour end fraction
a. What is the next step?
A. Divide both terms by 4.
B. Multiply both terms by 2 thirds .
C. Divide both terms by 2 thirds .
D. Multiply both terms by 4.
b. What is the unit rate for inches per hour?
c. What is the unit rate for hours per inch?