1. Convert 16 yards to feet. Use the rate suggested by the equation 3 feet = 1 yard.
2. Convert 10 pints to quarts. Use the rate suggested by the equation 1 quart = 2 pints.
3. Convert 13 inches to centimeters. Use the rate, or conversion factor, fraction 2.54 , . centimeters , over 1 , inch end fraction . .
4. Convert 33 centimeters to inches. Use the rate, or conversion factor, fraction 1 , inch , over 2.54 , . centimeters end fraction . . Round to the nearest whole number as needed.
5. A chef at a restaurant uses 12 pounds of butter each day. About how many grams of butter does the chef use each day? Use the conversion factors fraction 16 , ounces , over 1 , pound end fraction and fraction 28.4 . grams , over 1 , ounce end fraction . .
6. A cake recipe calls for 550 grams of flour. About how many pounds of flour do you need? Use the conversion factors fraction 1 , ounce , over 28.4 . grams end fraction and fraction 1 , pound , over 16 , ounces end fraction . . Round to the nearest tenth as needed.
7. Writing Paul's car holds at most 19 gallons of gas. Now it has 9 gallons.
a. Explain how to find the amount of gas he needs, in liters, to fill the gas tank. Use the conversion factors fraction 4 , quarts , over 1 , gallon end fraction and fraction 0.94 . liters , over 1 , quart end fraction . .
b. How many liters of gas does Paul need to fill his gas tank?
8. Reasoning Simone wants to know if a new chest of drawers will fit next to her bed. The chest she would like to buy is 73 centimeters wide. She knows that her room is 86 inches wide. The bed is 76 inches wide.
Will the chest fit next to her bed? Use the conversion factor fraction 2.54 . centimers , over 1 , inch end fraction . .
A. No, the room needs to be 47.6 centimeters wider in order for the chest to fit.
B. Yes, the chest fits with 47.6 centimeters of wall space remaining.
C. No, the room needs to be 69.06 centimeters wider in order for the chest to fit.
D. Yes, the chest fits with 69.06 centimeters of wall space remaining.
9. Cara and Derek are decorating a wall. They each have a picture that they want to hang on the wall. Cara's picture is 58 centimeters wide. Derek's picture is 26 inches wide. They want to hang the wider picture. Which picture should they use? Use the conversion factor fraction 1 , inch , over 2.54 . centimeters end fraction . .
A. Cara's picture
B. Derek's picture
C. Both pictures are the same width. They can use either picture.
10. Error Analysis Two students, Stella and Vladimir, complete the conversion statement 12 feet 8 inches = inches.
a. Which student is correct?
b. What is the likely cause of the other student's error? Use the conversion factor fraction 12 , inches , over 1 , foot end fraction . .
A. The student used multiplication instead of division.
B. The student used the conversion factor fraction 1 , inch , over 12 , feet end fraction . .
C. The student used the conversion factor fraction 1 , foot , over 12 , inches end fraction . .
D. The student used addition instead of multiplication.
11. Plumbing A school custodian discovered a leak in a water pipe. The custodian found that 1,920 fluid ounces of water had leaked out. How many gallons of water is this? Use the conversion factor fraction 1 , gallon , over 128 . fluidounces end fraction . .