1. Is the product − 8 · (− 3) positive or negative?
2. Is the product (− 0.39)(− 0.06)(0.29) positive or negative?
3. Find the product negative , 5 sixths , middle dot , 1 eighth , .
4. Multiply negative 2 , and 1 half , middle dot negative 1 , and 2 thirds , .
5. Multiply negative 7 , and 1 half , middle dot 2 , and 3 fourths , .
6. Multiply (− 0.6)(− 0.62).
7. Multiply (− 2.271)(16.47).
8. A farmer has 140 bushels of wheat to sell at his roadside stand. He sells an average of 15 , and 3 fifths bushels each day. Represent the total change in the number of bushels he has for sale after 6 days.
a. Writing What is the sign of a 2 b when = 5 and = 8?
b. Does the sign of the product depend on the sign of a, the sign of b, or the signs of both a and b? Explain.
10. Think About the Process
a. What is the first step in finding the product negative 4 , and 7 eighths , middle dot . open . negative 2 , and 1 half . close . question mark
A. Multiply the integers.
B. Find the sign of the product.
C. Multiply the fractions.
D. Change the sign of the second factor.
b. Find the product negative 4 , and 7 eighths , middle dot . open . negative 2 , and 1 half . close . .
11. Reasoning What is the sign of the product open negative 2 close . open , 1 sixth , close . open negative 7 close question mark Explain your reasoning.
12. Error Analysis Kyle incorrectly says that the product negative . open , negative , 6 sevenths , close . . . open , negative , 1 eleventh , close is 6 seventy sevenths , .
a. What is the correct product?
b. What was Kyle's likely error?
A. He found the product of two negative numbers and ignored the first negative sign.
B. He multiplied the numerator and denominator wrong.
C. He multiplied the numerators wrong.
D. He multiplied the denominators wrong.
13. Temperature Suppose there is a 1.1 °F drop in temperature for every thousand feet that an airplane climbs into the sky. If the temperature on the ground is 59.7 °F, what will be the temperature when the plane reaches an altitude of 11,000 ft?
a. Estimation Estimate the product (14.93)(− 12.66) by rounding each factor to the nearest integer and multiplying.
b. Find the exact product.
15. Multiply negative , 6 elevenths , . . open , negative , 1 thirteenth , close . .
16. A container holds 80,000 ounces of water. There is a small leak in the container. Every 96 minutes, 1.9 ounces of water leak out. Represent the total change in the amount of water in the container after 8 hours.
17. Think About the Process A ticket to see your favorite baseball team costs $49.64. That price decreases by $0.41 for every game lost during the regular season.
a. Which equation would be used to find the cost C of a ticket after L losses?
A. C = 49.64 − 0.41L
B. C = 49.64 + 0.41L
C. c equals . fraction 49.64 , over 0.41 l end fraction
D. C = 49.64(0.41L)
b. Represent the total change in the cost of a ticket after the team loses 31 games.
c. What is the price of a ticket after the team loses 31 games?