a. Find the sales tax to complete the table.
b. Find the total cost of the item.
2. Find the commission to complete the table.
3. Last month, a salesperson at a car dealership sold $205,000 worth of cars. The commission rate is 5%. How much did the salesperson earn last month in commission?
4. A salesperson at a jewelry store earns 3% commission each week. Last week, Heidi sold $720 worth of jewelry.
a. How much did she make in commission?
b. How much did the jewelry store make from her sales?
5. A salesperson works 40 hours per week at a job where he has two options for being paid. Option A is an hourly wage of $19. Option B is a commission rate of 8% on weekly sales. How much does he need to sell this week to earn the same amount with the two options?
6. The sales tax rate in a city is 9%.
a. Find the sales tax charged on a purchase of $600.
b. Then find the total cost.
7. Mental Math A typical tip in a restaurant is 15% of the total bill. If the bill is $140, what would the typical tip be?
8. Reasoning A salesperson's commission rate is 4%.
a. What is the commission from the sale of $33,000 worth of furnaces?
b. Suppose sales would double. What would be true about the commission? Explain without using any calculations.
9. The Stock Market Nadia is a stockbroker. She earns 4% commission each week. Last week, she sold $7,200 worth of stocks.
a. How much did she make last week in commission?
b. If she averages that same amount each week, how much did she make in commission in 2011?
10. Error Analysis Andrew and Cori start a new sales job. They have two options for being paid. Option A is an hourly wage of $7.50, working 40 hours a week. Option B is a commission of 6% on the weekly sales, estimating $3,600 in sales per week for an entry-level salesman. Andrew says he'll take the commission, thinking he'll make $2,160.
a. What was Andrew's likely error in computing the commission rate?
A. He incorrectly converted the percent to a decimal.
B. He used the equation, commission rate = commission · sales amount.
C. He used the equation, sales amount = commission rate · commission.
D. He used the equation, commission equals . fraction commission . , rate , over sales , , amount end fraction
b. Which option gives Cori more earnings per week?
A. Option A
B. Option B
C. Both options generate the same amount of earnings.