1. Three roads, A, B, and C, all run south to north. They each meet a highway that runs west to east. Road B is 4.2 km east of Road A. Road C is 2.4 km west of Road B. Describe the location of Road C with respect to Road A.
2. The formula V = R − N describes the variation V of the recorded temperature R from the normal temperature N. If the recorded temperature is − 3.6 °F and the normal temperature is 9.5 °F, what is the variation from the normal temperature?
3. Simplify the expression. − 4 − 7(8 − 3)
4. Find i when = 2000, = 0.1, and = 3 using the formula i = prt (simple interest formula).
5. Three friends all live on the same street that runs west to east. Beth lives 5 blocks from Ann. Carl lives 2 blocks from Beth. If the street is represented by a number line and Ann's house is located at 0, what are the possible locations for Carl's house?
6. Chase lives 2 , and 3 fifths blocks west of Ellie. They draw a number line to model this situation. Because Ellie lives 3 , and 1 half blocks east of school, they give her house the coordinates 3 , and 1 half , . Chase incorrectly claims that the coordinate of his house is 6 , and 1 tenth , . .
a. What is the correct coordinate of Chase's house?
b. What is Chase's likely error?
A. He subtracted 3 , and 1 half from the coordinate for Ellie's house.
B. He added 3 , and 1 half to the coordinate for Ellie's house.
C. He subtracted 2 , and 3 fifths from the coordinate for Ellie's house.
D. He added 2 , and 3 fifths to the coordinate for Ellie's house.
7. Use the formula c equals , 5 ninths , open f minus 32 close to find the Celsius temperature (C) equivalent to the given Fahrenheit temperature = 149 °.
8. Julia is hanging birdhouses on her fence, which includes one red post. The first birdhouse is 21.2 in. to the right of the red post. The second birdhouse is 29.1 in. to the left of the first birdhouse. Describe the location of the second birdhouse with respect to the red post. Use integers to estimate the distance.
9. The formulas for converting temperatures between degrees Celsius (C) and degrees Fahrenheit (F) are c equals , 5 ninths , open f minus 32 close and f equals , 9 fifths c plus 32.
a. Express 14 °F in degrees Celsius.
b. Express − 15 °C in degrees Fahrenheit.
c. Which temperature is colder?
10. In a certain city, Third Avenue, which runs west to east, meets Main Street, which runs south to north. A library, city hall, and a school are all on Third Avenue. The library is 400 yds west of Main St. City Hall is 300 yds west of the library. The school is 200 yds east of city hall. Describe the location of the school with respect to Main Street.
11. Simplify the expression.
2 , and 1 half , plus 5 . open . 4 fifths , minus , 1 fifth . close
12. Challenge The formula w over 2 , minus 3 h equals 53 models the recommended weight W, in pounds, of a man, where H represents the man's height, in inches, over 5 feet. Brian is 5 feet 8 , and 3 fourths inches tall. Jonah is 5 feet 11 , and 3 fourths inches tall.
a. What is the recommended weight for Brian?
b. What is the recommended weight for Jonah?
c. How much greater is Jonah's recommended weight than Brian's recommended weight?