1. Solve the equation + 18 = 27.
2. Solve the equation − 19 = 13.
3. Solve the equation 3= 15. Check your answer.
4. Solve the equation x over 9 , equals 6. Check your answer.
5. Select the three equations that have the same solution.
A. + 3 = 4
B. y over 1.75 , equals 4
C. 5= 35
D. 22 + = 29
6. Which equation has the same solution as 6.5= 45.5?
A. 4.97 + = 11.97
B. 3 fourths , n equals 5 , and 1 fourth
C. Both A and B
D. Neither A nor B
a. Writing Solve the equation 5 + = 9.
b. Describe the properties you used to solve the equation.
c. Write two more equations that you can solve using these same properties and solve them.
a. Reasoning Solve the equation 8= − 16 and check your answer.
b. Is it possible to solve the equation using multiplication? Explain your reasoning.
9. Error Analysis A teacher asked her students to solve the equation − 11 = 25. One student incorrectly said that the solution is 14.
a. What is the correct solution?
b. What mistake might the student have made?
A. The student applied the Addition Property of Equality instead of the Subtraction Property of Equality.
B. The student applied the Subtraction Property of Equality instead of the Addition Property of Equality.
C. The student applied the Multiplication Property of Equality instead of the Division Property of Equality.
D. The student applied the Division Property of Equality instead of the Multiplication Property of Equality.
10. Think About the Process
a. Which property of equality should you use to solve the equation for x?
− 3= 21
A. The Division Property of Equality
B. The Subtraction Property of Equality
C. The Addition Property of Equality
D. The Multiplication Property of Equality
b. The solution is .
11. School Supplies Matt bought notebooks at the store for $1.07 each. He spent $3.21 on the notebooks. Let x represent the number of notebooks Matt bought. Use the equation 1.07= 3.21 to find the number of notebooks he bought.
a. Estimation Estimate the solution to the equation z minus 5 , and 4 fifths , equals 6 , and 1 ninth by rounding each mixed number to the nearest whole number.
b. Find the exact solution.
13. Solve and check the equation x plus 2 , and 2 fifths , equals 6.