1. Find the length of the third side of the right triangle. Simplify your answer.
2. Tyler is flying a kite on 500 feet of string. How high is it above the ground if the horizontal distance between Tyler and the kite is 300 feet? Simplify your answer.
3. You are flying your dragon kite. It's connected to 34 yd of string. The kite is directly above the edge of a pond. The edge of the pond is 29 yd from where the kite is tied to the ground. How high is the kite above the edge of the pond? Round to one decimal place as needed.
4. Think About the Process A 10-foot ladder is leaning against a building with the base of the ladder 2 feet from the building.
a. How can you find how high on the building the top of the ladder will reach?
A. Subtract the two given values.
B. Add the two given values.
C. Substitute the values for a and b in the equation a 2 + b 2 = c 2 and solve for c.
D. Substitute the values for a and c in the equation a 2 + b 2 = c 2 and solve for b.
b. How far up the building will the top of the ladder reach?
5. Find the height of the square pyramid.
6. A stainless steel patio heater is a square pyramid. The length of one side of the base is 19.8 in. The slant height of the pyramid is 92.8 in. What is the height of the pyramid? Round to one decimal place as needed.
7. The base of a square pyramid is 13 ft long. Its slant height is 34.2 ft. Find the height of the square pyramid. Round to one decimal place as needed.
a. Writing What is the length of the rectangular plot of land shown?
b. How are the lengths of the legs of a right triangle related to the lengths of the sides of a rectangle?