1. cap solve , , y over 6 , plus 6 equals negative 8 .
2. cap solve , , x over 8 , minus 4 equals , 15 over 16 .
3. A rental company rents a luxury car at a daily rate of $38.34 plus $.50 per mile. Paul is allotted $100 for car rental each day.
a. Which equation represents the cost, C, of renting a car and driving x miles?
A. C = 38.34x + 0.50
B. 38.34 = C + 0.50x
C. 38.34 = Cx + 0.50
D. C = 38.34 + 0.50x
b. How many miles can Paul travel on the $100?
4. The same number of guests are seated at each of 11 large tables. There are 2 guests seated at one small table.
a. Which equation represents the total number of guests, T, and the number of people, x, at each large table?
A. 11 = Tx + 2
B. T = 11x + 2
C. T = 11 + 2x
D. 11 = T + 2x
b. If there are 90 guests, how many are seated at each large table?
5. Jacek went to a sporting event with some friends. They bought 2 snacks of equal price and a drink that cost $4.09.
a. Which equation represents the total cost T and the cost s of each snack bought?
A. T = 2 + 4.09s
B. 2 = Ts + 4.09
C. 2 = T + 4.09s
D. T = 2s + 4.09
b. How much did each snack cost if they spent $14.85 total?
6. Solve 7x + 11x = 144. Simplify your answer.
7. cap solve , , z over 5 , minus 4 equals 2 , and 1 fourth . Simplify your answer.
8. A contractor bought 8.2 ft2 of sheet metal. She used 2.1 ft2 so far and has $183 worth of sheet metal remaining. The equation 8.2x − 2.1x = 183 represents how much sheet metal is remaining and the cost of the remaining amount. How much does sheet metal cost per square foot?
a. Writing cap solve , , y over 5 , minus 2 equals 1 .
b. Think of a situation in your own life that could be represented by a two-step equation. Write and solve the two-step equation.
10. Reasoning A worker on the production line is paid a base salary of $220.00 per week plus $0.92 for each unit produced.
a. Which equation represents the weekly salary of $428.84 when she produces x units?
A. 428.84 = 220x + 0.92
B. 220 = 428.84x + 0.92
C. 220 = 428.84 + 0.92x
D. 428.84 = 220 + 0.92x
b. How many units did she produce?
11. Running An athlete runs an equal distance 4 days a week. The other 3 days of the week, she runs a total of 11 miles.
a. Which equation represents the total number of miles run in a week, R, and the number of miles, x, run each of the 4 days?
A. 4 = R + 11x
B. R = 4 + 11x
C. 4 = Rx + 11
D. R = 4x + 11
b. If the athlete ran 43 miles last week, how far did she run each of the first 4 days?