1. Find square root of 9 .
2. Which numbers are irrational? Select all that apply.
A. square root of 45
B. square root of 100
C. square root of 64
D. square root of 21
3. A square rug has an area of 100 ft2. Write the side length as a square root. Then decide if the side length is a rational number.
4. Think About the Process
a. How do you decide if a decimal is a rational number?
A. Check whether the decimal terminates in 0s or repeats.
B. All decimals are irrational numbers.
C. All decimals are rational numbers.
D. Check whether the decimal never terminates nor repeats.
b. Is 4.87787778… a rational number?
5. Which numbers are rational? The dots, …, indicate that the pattern continues.
A. II and III
B. III only
C. II only
D. I and II
E. I only
F. None of the above.
6. Is 5.78778777… a rational or irrational number?
7. Find the sets of numbers to which negative , 8 ninths belongs. Select all that apply.
B. whole numbers
C. irrational numbers
D. real numbers
E. rational numbers
F. natural numbers
8. Which numbers are rational? Select all that apply.
A. 8 fifths
D. 4. , 46 bar
F. 19 over 3
H. There are no rational numbers
9. Reasoning The numbers 2.888… and 2.999… are both rational numbers. Which of the following is an irrational number that is between the two rational numbers? Select all that apply.
a. Multiple Representations Is the decimal form of 13 over 3 a rational number?
b. Explain how you can give the answer to this question without identifying the decimal form for the fraction.
a. Writing Is 8.33333333… a rational or irrational number?
b. Describe how you would explain the difference between rational and irrational numbers to someone who has never heard these terms.
12. Error Analysis Deena says that 9.56556555… is a rational number. Elijah disagrees and says the number is irrational. Who is correct? What might likely cause one of them to make the error?
A. Elijah is correct. Deena may see 9.56556555… as showing a repeating pattern.
B. Both Deena and Elijah are correct. Numbers like this one are both rational and irrational.
C. Deena is correct. Elijah may see 9.56556555… as not showing a repeating pattern.
D. Neither is correct. The numbers cannot be classified as rational or irrational.