1. Find the mean of the data set 10, 0, 2, and 8.
2. A student received grades of 86, 88, 97, 82, and 60 on math quizzes. Find the mean.
3. Find the mean of the following set of numbers.
193, 153, 103, 120, 173
4. Find the mean of the following set of numbers.
109, 399, 422, 570
5. Find the value of x such that the data set 102, 119, 106, 114, 108, and x has a mean of 119.
6. Three cars are driving on a racetrack. The mean speed of the three cars is 100 miles per hour. Car X drives 103 miles per hour and Car Y drives 116 miles per hour.
a. Use the mean to estimate the speed of Car Z.
A. The speed of Car Z is about 100 miles per hour.
B. The speed of Car Z is greater than 100 miles per hour.
C. The speed of Car Z is less then 100 miles per hour.
D. It is impossible to estimate the speed of Car Z.
b. Find the actual speed of Car Z.
7. The last five playgrounds built in town were constructed for the costs shown below. Find the mean cost. If a new playground is built for $1,500, how would that affect the mean?
$1,780; $1,790; $1,560; $1,600
8. Find the value of x such that the data set has a mean of 104.
99, 123, 104, 111, 106, x
9. Several people worked together to pick watermelons. A group of 4 people picked 27 watermelons. Another group, of 6 people, picked 53 watermelons. If all of the watermelons were shared equally, how many watermelons did each person get?
10. Writing The last five houses built in town sold for the prices $189,000; $167,000; $170,000; $146,000; and $167,000.
a. What is the mean price of the houses?
b. If a new house built in town sold for $130,000, how would that affect the mean?
11. Challenge The costs of four different cell phones are shown in the table. What is the mean cost of the four cell phones? If a fifth cell phone costs $192, what is the mean cost of all five cell phones?
12. Error Analysis The mean of the data set 100, 121, 107, 114, 110, and x is 114. Your friend says that the value of x is 110.4.
a. What is the correct value of x?
b. What mistake might your friend have made?
A. Your friend found the median of the numbers, not the mean.
B. Your friend found the mean of the five numbers listed.
C. Your friend did not divide the sum of the values.
D. Your friend divided the sum of 6 numbers by 5, not 6.