1. Decide whether each of these statements is true or false.
a. An advantage of using a credit card is responsible use builds a positive credit history.
b. A disadvantage of using a store-valued card is use may be limited to a specific merchant.
2. Which of these statements about payment methods are true? Select all that apply.
A. A disadvantage of a debit card is you cannot get cash back.
B. An advantage of a stored-value card is no credit history is needed.
C. An advantage of a debit card is responsible use builds a positive credit history.
D. A disadvantage of a credit card is interest may be charged on the unpaid balance.
E. A disadvantage of a stored-valued card is the value of the card is limited.
F. An advantage of a credit card is most merchants accept it.
3. Both clues below describe either an advantage or a disadvantage of the same payment method. Identify each clue as an advantage or a disadvantage. Then identify the payment method.
4. While shopping online, Valeria finds a T-shirt she wants to buy. She can pay using her account with an online payment system, or she can pay using her credit card. Which method would you recommend? Explain.
A. Valeria should use the online payment system because it will help build a positive credit history.
B. Valeria should use the online payment system because it is more secure. To use the credit card, Valeria would have to give the seller her account information.
C. Valeria should use the credit card because she can get cash back with the purchase.
D. Valeria should use the credit card because it is accepted by more merchants than the online payment system.
5. When you make a purchase with a debit card, you may be charged a fee if the purchase price exceeds your balance. Is this an advantage or a disadvantage? Explain your answer.
6. Alyssa is shopping at her favorite store and finds a shirt for $15 that she wants to buy. She can pay using her debit card, a credit card, or a $40 stored-value card for that store. Her checking account balance is $45. Which method is the best choice in this situation? Explain.
A. Alyssa should use the stored-value card because it is prepaid, so she will not decrease her account balance or increase her credit card debt. This way, Alyssa has money available to spend at places where the stored-value card is not accepted.
B. Alyssa should use her debit card because she will not have to pay any interest, unlike if she uses a credit card or the stored-value card. This way, the amount Alyssa ultimately spends is less.
C. Alyssa should use the credit card because she can buy now and pay later without having to pay any interest. This way, Alyssa has a greater amount of money available to spend.